New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

November 15 - December 31, 2017: Holiday Salon - Small Works Show at Darrell Bell Gallery (street level ), running through the holidays, Darrell and his team have installed a grid of twenty of my 8x8's as well as a small wall of larger pieces at the front of the gallery. Lots of great gift ideas to be found by the many gallery artists on display.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Friday, April 4, 2014

Little Sumac On Georgian Bay

Little Sumac on Georgian Bay
30 x 30"
acrylic on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2014

My dry spell continues, although I did get to the studio on Monday and began a large panting. It felt good at the time but the magic did not last long. At least it was a glimmer and maybe this weekend I will find the right mood to go again.

The painting above was done at the temporary studio earlier this year and I totally forgot about it! I brought it home during the studio move and stored it with my other Georgian Bay paintings. It is based on a 6x6 study, "Little Sumac on the Beach" (see below), that I did while in Georgian Bay last fall. I liked the calmness of the sky and water next to the busy foreground. My fascination persisted with the little red plant growing out of the most impossible rocky terrain and I wondered how it might translate on a larger scale. It is not quite done, but it is close.

Little Sumac on the Beach (study)
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2013

Since this post brings up Georgian Bay it seems like a good time for an announcement! Our application was accepted - Bridget, Jackie and I will be having an exhibition of our Georgian Bay paintings at St. Thomas More Gallery in Saskatoon from August 26  - October 31, 2014 and I'm pretty excited about it! We all paint so differently, it will be interesting to see how it comes together. I think the show will be titled "Three Takes: Georgian Bay". It feels good to look forward to something!

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

I love this. It is hard having the feeling of being in a dry spell. But I think what you are doing is cooking.
I painted so many paintings in January, that it felt like a dry spell just to slow down and work on something bigger. Give your fantastic artist self a break. Maybe instead of calling it a dry spell, call it a creative holiday. We all need them!

Love your work.

XOXOXO Barbara And congratulations on the show, which will be amazing.

Nicki said...

Thank you for your wisdom, Barbara. Yes, a creative holiday! Glad you have been so productive so far in 2014- you are on fire!

XO N.