New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Just a Simple Canadian Girl

Bargue #3
(big form modelling)
graphite on Stonehenge paper

I'm just a simple Canadian girl working her way through a six-pack!!!

I am roughly half-way through the big-form modelling of my third Bargue drawing- the Belvedere Torso. I'm amazed by the confidence I gained during Bargue #2. I feel like the muscles and abs on this guy are a cake-walk next to working through the beard of my last Bargue. The hardest part of this one was the comparative measure at the beginning and I suppose that is because it was new to me. It's not over yet, however, so I should probably watch my words!

Once I finish all of the big-form modelling I will take one or two more passes over the entire drawing with an incredibly sharp pencil and clean it up so it reaches a high finish, then I will move on from copying the Bargue plates to working from a cast. This will challenge me again to take all I have learned and apply it to life- working directly from a three dimensional object. 

It is hard to believe I have been attending Atelier 2302 for almost a year (part-time) and I will have done three drawings. The time invested in each one is rather staggering, but in my mind entirely worth it. I also have to admit that I rarely find the time to work on the drawing outside of class, so that has slowed me down. The training I am receiving is priceless- my eye is stronger and I am honing my skills beyond anything I could have imagined. I am so thankful Craig Berry moved back to Saskatoon and opened his Atelier. Better late than never for me to gain this knowledge.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Lovely drawing and photo of the drawing. I am so impressed with you.

XOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

I am looking forward to the end result... shouldn't be long now. Thanks for your encouragement.

XO N.