Friday, June 7, 2013

Turmoil Overhead

Turmoil Overhead
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2013
sold

This is the other piece I did in the backyard the other day, trying to muster up emotion through memory. I love the Kenderdine Campus, and as much as it is my happy place, it also has been a place where I have experienced many deep emotions. I clearly remember the internal conflict I felt when I went back to the campus in 2007 after a 6 year hiatus (I had babies in the meantime). I was giddy to be at Emma Lake again (I had been in 2000 and 2001), ready to immerse myself in the art I had been missing while in the throes of child-rearing. But I recall feeling enormous guilt for leaving behind my then three and five year old boys so that I could do something so indulgent as to paint for seven days. Let me just say that it has gotten easier every year since then!

On another note... Art Trek is about to start, so I better do my last minute preps and errands. Hope to see you there- I'll be at St. George Studio and don't forget it is a back alley entrance! Here is the info. one more time:


3 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

It's really wonderful Nicki. And perfectly named.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

Good for you. I'm glad it sold -- it's beautiful, and I agree well named.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thank you dear eastern friends! I miss you both and wish we could meet up for a coffee and a painting session. Thank you for all of your encouraging words.

XO Nicki