Friday, August 3, 2012

A Treasure and Show Dates


Every now and then, when I have a few extra minutes after getting groceries, I run into the used bookstore which is in the same strip mall. I make a beeline straight to the art section and look for interesting books on artists I want to learn more about. The other day I found a book on David Hockney with gorgeous photos of his work; it's called "That's The way I See It" and it is written by him. I LOVE books written by artists themselves, so I nabbed it quick-like! But look what other treasure I found- it's a book that was published for the opening of The Mendel Art Gallery. These books were obviously given as gifts by Fred Mendel because the gift card was still in this copy as you can see... and it is signed by Mr. Mendel! Coooool!



Art supplies and art books.... mm-mmm good!

And I have exciting news... I have signed and submitted the contract so my art show at Calories restaurant in Saskatoon is now official. My paintings will show on their walls from August 19- September 30. It's going to be a quick turn around because I get home from my art class on the 18th, but I can do it! The dates are now at the top of my page for easy reference.

4 comments:

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

Great find on the books! Wow.
Gee Nicki - I wish I could stitch as fast as you paint. Right on about Calories! All the best. Hey - I've love to chat. Let's plan for a coffee at Calories once the kids are all in school? I haven't been there in ages.
: )
Monika

Kim Rempel said...

That's a very cool score. I remember a figure drawing teacher in college who found a copy of Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak at a garage sale ...and there was a hand drawn "wild thing" on the inside front cover with a note from Maurice himself! How could anyone sell that for a quarter???!!!! If they only knew what they'd had...lol

Nicki said...

Thanks Monika... it is exciting to come across these things.

I don`t feel like I paint particularly fast, but perhaps compared to stitching it may seem that way. Good news is you can compensate with your prices!!!

I`d love to go out- we have to make this happen! And a drive to the swale please! (is that what it is called)

Nicki said...

Kim, that is so cool! Wow! Yeah, garage sales can be wonderful treasure troves as well. Too fun.