New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

November 15 - December 31, 2017: Holiday Salon - Small Works Show at Darrell Bell Gallery (street level ), running through the holidays, Darrell and his team have installed a grid of twenty of my 8x8's as well as a small wall of larger pieces at the front of the gallery. Lots of great gift ideas to be found by the many gallery artists on display.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Splendor in the Grasslands

Splendor in The Grasslands
16 x 16"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2012

I am happy to say that I survived the quick turn around! I returned home on Saturday from my week-long class at the Kenderdine Campus at Emma Lake, regrouped and planned the layout (as best I could in my living room) for the show at Calories which I had to hang bright and early on Sunday morning. I was up until midnight making lists, I.D. cards and figuring out my prices (it was time for an increase). When I finally went to bed sleep came very quickly! My Dad helped me hang the show and I'm so glad he did; it went so much more smoothly than if I had tried to do it myself. I think it looks quite good, the palette and themes of the paintings suit the atmosphere of the restaurant (in my opinion). The painting I am showing you today is one of my favorites in the show.

I feel like I have so much to write about, but I will have to pace it out over the next few days so as not to bore you!

In this post I want to acknowledge that the other day (August 19) marked my 3rd blog anniversary. In 2008, after I stumbled upon Abbey Ryan's art blog through her ETSY store, I had spent a lot of time discovering an entire art blog world I didn't know existed until then. I was intrigued, excited, intimidated, encouraged and down-right envious of all of these "real" artists. On the evening of my birthday in 2009 I sat at the computer with the kids in bed and my husband reading his papers in his chair nearby, and began going one step at a time through Blogger to set up a blog. I kept thinking I would run into something I didn't understand or know how to do, but I didn't. Before I knew it I had given myself a blog for my birthday and I shared this fact with no one for several days after it was set up. Little did I know how this one seemingly small decision would be the beginning of my art becoming a more and more integral part of my life. 

Many young people know what they want to be when they"grow up". I never really ever had a burning desire and ambition for anything specific; and I was really good at school- I could have done almost anything. I thought about it and went back and forth between many options: Teacher, Social Worker, Counselor, Doctor, Psychologist. I could never nail it down because deep in my heart all I really ever wanted to be was an artist and a mother. Who knew so many years later, decades even, that a blog would be a vehicle to help me find my way to one of those dreams?




2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

What a momentous day. Thank goodness you did start blogging, so that I could meet you through art. This is a wonderful painting. Congratulations on your beautiful work, your great blog posts, and thank you for the inspiration you've been to me.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Barbara, thank you and I could say all of the same things right back to you. I never imagined how much this little blog would give me... but one of the things I am most grateful for is a connection to you.

XO Nicki