New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Monday, March 19, 2012

On The Way To Waskesiu

On the Way To Waskesiu
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2012
sold

On road trips with my family, inevitably my husband drives and I man the snacks, untangle ear phones, reach backpacks, find little things that get dropped and of course help pass the time with a rousing game of "eye spy". But when everyone is content and busy I have my camera in hand and I snap pictures of the passing scenery. They are never great pictures, but they are usually enough to remind me of the place, light, time of day and thing I found interesting. This painting comes from one such photo. It was from later in the afternoon when the atmosphere starts to cool down and the sun is disappearing in a hazy, quiet way rather than in a bold, knock-your-socks-off sunset kind of way. This is from a photo looking east, as we were driving north to the lake. I loved the marsh and how it reflected the sky. I knew when I took the photo that I wanted to crop the picture so that it looked like a blue stripe in the field.

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

Yesterday I posted this quote on my Facebook Fan Page:

"... the seed for your next art work lies embedded in the imperfections of your current piece."

~ from "Art & Fear: Observations On The Perils (and Rewards) of ARTMAKING" 
by David Bayles & Ted Orland
I am reading this book for the second time- it has some great nuggets to mull over. This particular line and the paragraph that goes with it really got me thinking about the painting I have been working on... the one I lovingly refer to as "the monster". It didn't turn out as I pictured in my mind. I am happy with it, but it went down a different road. When I read this line it got me thinking about where "the monster" missed the mark as far as my original idea went. Once I figured this out I knew what I wanted to try. Today I painted two 10 x 10" canvases that address this idea. I feel satisfaction and excitement... and now a curiosity about what seed has been planted in these new paintings.

2 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

Great post Nicki. I read this quote yesterday on your FB page and it resonated with me. It's a productive way to think about things. Looking forward to seeing the photos of the latest paintings!

Nicki said...

Yes, the quote helped me appreciate the painting I ended up with and got me excited about the ideas that could come from what I learned. I guess that is what it is all about.

I did a third painting today and now they must dry... I may do a bit of glazing. I'll let you know which ones they are when I post them.

N.