New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

November 15 - December 31, 2017: Holiday Salon - Small Works Show at Darrell Bell Gallery (street level ), running through the holidays, Darrell and his team have installed a grid of twenty of my 8x8's as well as a small wall of larger pieces at the front of the gallery. Lots of great gift ideas to be found by the many gallery artists on display.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Title Suggestions Needed

Low Storm II
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011
sold 

About 3 years ago I did a little 7 x 7" acrylic painting called "Low Storm" with a similar theme. Unfortunately I had never taken a photo of it and it ended up selling at an art show I had in 2008. It would be interesting to compare them... I remember the first one had little jolts of Cad. Red peaking through in the green horizon line. Anyway, this is where I am at now- using oils, trying to create a soft smudgy effect while still trying to be expressive and show my love of the power of Mother Nature. This sky fascinated me this summer at Waskesiu Lake. A brooding, intense, dark storm crept along close to the horizon while up above there were beautiful, towering, puffy clouds going about their business as if unaware of the evil beneath.

The title I gave this one is kind of lame... does anyone have any suggestions?

6 comments:

Judy Wood said...

How about lifting a word from your description and titling it "Power" ?

Rhys Alvarado said...

I really like the contrast of this painting. Blue skies up top, dim seas below. Keep up the good work!

Rhys Alvarado,

offtheechain.blogspot.com

Nicki said...

Judy, that is a good idea... I'll consider it! There is quite a sense of power in that storm below.

Nicki

Nicki said...

Hi Rhys,

Thank you for taking the time to comment and I'm happy to have you as a Follower!

I'm pleased you feel the sense of contrast in this painting; the intensity and the calmness existing in such close proximity to one another.

Happy New Year,
Nicki

-Don said...

I don't know how I missed this one, Nicki, but I did. It IS powerful, as Judy alluded to in her title suggestion. It's also intense and beautifully done! The first word that popped into my mind when I saw it was "Thunderhead", so that's my title suggestion.

Happy New Year, my friend. May you have loads of fun and be safe.

-Don

Nicki said...

Hi Don, Happy New Year!

I'm so glad you saw this and let me know you like it! I love the title "Thunderhead" and actually may just use it for one of the big skies I am planning to work on soon. I want to do a big painting of a towering cloud and that title just may be perfect... although it suits this one too.

Thanks! All the best to you and I look forward to seeing all of the amazing things you create in 2012.

Nicki