Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring Day In Saskatchewan

Spring Day In Saskatchewan
(after twenty minutes)
8 x 8"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011 

On Monday I was at the studio working on the large commission when I looked out the window to see the gorgeous Spring day before me. (It might be hard to tell in print, but my words are dripping with sarcasm! It was gray, blustery and cold outside!) I had 45 minutes before I had to pick up the kids from school, so I decided to take a break from the large painting and do a quick study for the Twenty Minute Challenge. I worked quickly and with a limited palette. It's not done, but I was excited about the start I got. It was actually snowing outside, so once the oil has dried a bit I want to try incorporate some snowflakes. I think we have more snow right now than anytime this winter! We recently had a nice stretch of warm, melty days, but that is over and we are back to heavy jackets and snow boots!

4 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

We are into the big snow again too.
Boots, mittens, scarves, furry hats.
And your painting has the look. Only here that whole landscape would be covered in the 7 inches of snow that's fallen overnight!

Super painting. I like the sarcasm. The weather deserves it.

XOBarbara

Judy Adamson said...

I think that painting has great possibilities, Nicki. I actually like it very much just as it is!

Just to make you jealous, we're having wonderfully summery weather here! Lots of sunshine, no rain and temperatures that are more typical of late May! Having said that, it's been known to snow in April so I'm not putting away my winter clothes just yet!

suzanneberry said...

we got dusted again this morning too. i'm so done with winter but apparently she wasn't quite done with me. this really evokes that cold damp feeling is the most wonderful way.

Nicki said...

Thanks Barbara,

It is way too cold, but I do feel a bit guilty for complaining when other areas of the world are dealing with so much worse. Let me know what you think of the final version.

Nicki XO


Hi Judy,

I really enjoyed painting this even though the subject was a bit dreary. I actually felt happier about the weather after I was done!

I'm glad you are experiencing better weather than us- it gives me hope! And if it doesn't change for us, now I know who to visit!

Nicki


Hi Suzanne,

Winter just doesn't want to give up very easily here in North America! I'm pleased you like the start of this painting despite the subject!

Nicki