New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Sunday, November 19, 2017: Studio on 20th Open Studio Art Show and Sale. The studio where I paint will be open to the public from 11 am - 5 pm on this one afternoon only. Current work by our eleven artists will be exhibited and available to purchase. Please come and bring a friend! We are located at 236A 20th Street West (door to the left of the Odd Couple restaurant); not wheelchair accessible.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ice, Water, Snow, Frost

Ice, Water, Snow, Frost 
7x7"
acrylic on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2012
sold

This is Tuesday's plein air effort. I did a bit of tweaking on it this morning while my little partner tried his hand at a bit of acrylic painting... with the addition of stickers. I had taken a photo of this one, but upon seeing it on the computer screen I realized that the land, water and foreground ice were all equally a third of the painting. It just looked way too orderly and contrived, so I dropped the water down and made some adjustments to the land. I'm much happier with this, compositionally speaking anyway.

Even though it was unbelievably windy, I went down to the river to paint yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon when the boys were at school. In the next day or two I will hopefully be able to post the piece I worked on but in the meantime I will have to finish it in the studio... the temperature really dropped last night, so I won't be venturing outside to paint. This one features a rock covered far bank and I don't know if I can pull it off. At any rate it definitely needs more time spent on it.

Also, to the Irish out there, I wanted to say a belated Happy St. Patrick's Day! My grandmother came to Canada from Belfast, Ireland when she was 4 years old. She was always so proud of her heritage and would wear a "Kiss me I'm Irish" button on March 17 every year. In honour of the day I made green scrambled eggs for lunch and put green food colouring in the toilet water! The kids enjoyed the fun, but in the end I was the only one who ate the eggs. Can't imagine why.

7 comments:

-Don said...

You forgot the ham. It has to be Green Eggs & Ham! I wouldn't have eaten them either, without the ham...

I'm so glad to see new works coming from you every day. You're back! I agree with your composition decisions and really like the final result.

Stay warm,

-Don

Miltrum said...

I love this painting. I also enjoy your description of the river, it makes me miss S'toon. This message won't be scary to Karen. Your art has always impressed me and I wish I could comment more intellectually. But I really like this and many others, even the ones you don't like.
Dave
i am in Saskabush in late April.

Nicki said...

Hi Don,

That is where I went wrong... I forgot the ham! It had nothing to do with the fact that the eggs were incredibly unappetizing to look at. Next year I will remember the ham!

Thanks for your input- yes,the composition works much better now. We've had the brief dialogue before about how to step back to get a more objective view of your work. You had mentioned to look at the painting in a mirror and that does work. I have also found lately that by taking a picture and seeing it on the computer screen I can be removed enough to catch things that I might have not realized otherwise.

Take care,

Nicki


David!!!

So glad you returned! Sorry I deleted you before. :0) Won't happen again! No need to be concerned about intellectual comments here... did you see my post about the bang trim I gave myself? Things aren't too sophisticated around this joint! And as far as the art goes, I just like knowing if a painting somehow catches the eye or appeals to the person viewing it. It doesn't have to go any deeper than that. I'm glad you like what I have been doing. Truly- it makes me happy to know.

I would love to see you in April if we can work it out... and Sam, too, if she is coming.

XO Nicki

rahina q.h. said...

hey Nicki, you've done a great job with the composition and the result is excellent! i thought the photo of the green rubbery stuff was interesting and was wondering if it was something to do with painting... when i read the post, i felt so sorry for your boys:)))

Barbara M. said...

Hi Nicki,

I love this painting and the St. Patrick's Day tricks you pull. Food colouring in the toilet bowl? Hmmm.
The painting is a stunner. Just amazing beyond compare.

I so love your work.

XOBarbara

JRonson said...

this one is a master piece, bravo !

Nicki said...

Hi J.

Wow, thanks! Glad it struck you.

Nicki