Friday, March 22, 2019

Lessons Learned: Daily Painting Project - Part III

Midnight Dance (detail)

My Daily Painting Project is complete! Twelve paintings in Twelve Days morphed into Fifteen Paintings in Fifteen Days!

Here is the break-down of the three bonus paintings, all sold:

 Wonderland

- I challenged myself to use NO WHITE in a winter scene
 Go Boldly

- For kicks, I decided to start my painting on a white board because I never do that; I always paint on a toned board. Now I know why. Painting on white is a bad idea. Ha!

- I then tried to tone my board after-the-fact with my fast matte paint, but something weird happened. No lesson was learned because I really don't know what in the bleep occurred. From that point on things just became a full-on experiment in every way and I made this painting up!
Midnight Dance

- I began on a board toned with a cool colour (Phthalo Green) when usually I tone my boards with a warm colour

- I love creating these nocturnes, so with this one I tried to push more variation and colour in the sky which has always been a struggle with the dark blues. The challenge was to get a green tinge happening in the Milky Way (hard to see in the photo)

- I attempted to show more brush work than in previous night skies


Please see Part I for the lessons learned from paintings one through six and Part II for the lessons learned from paintings seven through twelve.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Absolutely amazing. I am so impressed and head over heels in love with your work.


XOXOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thank you so much Barbara, you are always so supportive and enthusiastic.