Saturday, September 23, 2017

Faux Island at Paignton

Faux Island at Paignton
12 x 36"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2017
available at Darrell Bell Gallery

This summer I really had a great time with my kids at the lake. They were troopers as I hauled them around with me to take lots of resource photos for future paintings. On this particular day we packed up some snacks and the dingy that my son got for Christmas and headed to the Narrows. I hadn't taken that drive for ages and the kids had never done it, so I was pretty excited. Paignton Beach was my favourite place to go with my family when I was a little girl; wiener roasts, boating, swimming, water skiing- SO many good memories. The Narrows is about twenty-five minutes from the Waskesiu town site and ten minutes past Paignton; longer than that if you stop to take pictures along the way of the scenery and a cute little red fox on the side of the road! There you will find a beach, campground and marina. My friend, photographer Bob Ferguson once told me about a view from the road looking towards Paignton Beach that appeared to be an island, but was actually just the way the land jutted out that made it look so. I was searching for it on the drive to the Narrows and thought I spotted it and when traveling home later that day in the opposite direction, it was obvious it was the right spot.

And so the idea for this painting was born.

No comments: