Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Reimagined Sky

Reimagined Sky
36 x 36"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2015
 
This painting was finally dry enough to transport out of the studio so I could take a photo. It's a sky I have painted before on a much smaller scale. I've always wanted to try it on a large canvas and while I am in a bit of an inspiration limbo, it seemed like a good time to try. I recently read that when an artist is stuck or blocked a good way to deal with the rut is to reimagine something you have done before; to try it in a different way. For this painting I decided I would go big and avoid blue sky at all costs. It isn't coming through well on my monitor, but there is actually quite a bit of soft pink in the sky surrounding the main cloud.
 
Anyway, I hope you like it. Next up is reimagining a birch tree I painted about four or five years ago.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

I love it, and love those high, singing clouds. The best!

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Much appreciation! Thanks dear Barbara.

XO