New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Butterfly Love!


I always love being surprised by Mother Nature when I leave the studio. Occasionally when I open the door I am met by a gorgeous sunset or a stormy sky or geese flying overhead. I must say there is something wonderful about spending a few hours absorbed in the process of painting my interpretation of nature and then opening the door only to find more inspiration. It feels like a gift. Well, today I must have done something right with my paintbrushes because when the session was over I was greeted by the likes of nature which I have never seen in these-here parts!!! Look at this glorious creature! Initially I thought there was a piece of dirty paper stuck in the (dirty) car door. I went to yank it out, but pulled my hand back fast when I realized it was alive!



I was shaking I was so excited! It was spectacular! The four circles/eyes were actually transparent in the middle and it's legs looked all hairy like a tarantula! I thought it was a butterfly, but a friend sent me the name of it, Polyphemus Moth (Antheraea Polyphemus) and a link. Either way, I love it!

4 comments:

Karen Martin Sampson said...

What a fortuitous event! Beautiful creature and nice photos of it...something to consider using in your work!

Nicki said...

Hi Karen,

It really felt like a gift! I have always been one to get totally excited about this kind of thing. I probably spent ten to fifteen minutes just enjoying it. Today at the studio I played with mixing gorgeous rusty oranges for the landscape I am working on.

Nice to hear from you- I hope you are well.

Nicki

Barbara Muir said...

Don't you love that feeling. You describe it well. The surprises that nature can give us really feel like a message -- a meaningful reminder of the wonder that surrounds us. Lovely.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

Yes, sometimes these things do feel like a message. I'm glad I stopped to enjoy it for awhile.

Hugs,
Nicki