July - September, 2018: A selection of my artwork is now available for the summer season at Evrgreen, a charming coffee shop in the townsite of Waskesiu in Prince Albert National Park!

Representation: I am honoured to have my work represented by these well-respected professional galleries:
Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon
Assiniboia Gallery in Regina, 2266 Smith Street- a vibrant, bustling part of town.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Upswept Sky

Upswept Sky
(shown above after 20 minutes)
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2010
For Twenty Minute Challenge

I needed a break a couple of weeks ago from the focus on larger work for my upcoming solo show, so I pulled out a little panel and did a quick start on a sky for 20 minutes. I highly recommend this exercise for anyone. I worked on it again the next day and below is the finished piece.

Upswept Sky
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2010

The Open Studio was busy! I met some really great people and received some extremely positive feedback about my work. Several new names are now on my contact list for anything that I do in the future and I was approached by a gallery/store owner to be part of a group show in the new year with the theme of "Trees" . Apparently she has done this the past couple of years with artists but this year participation is by invitation only. I also sold ten paintings off my "grid" so that was exciting. With eleven artists sharing the studio and invitations going out to all of their contacts I definitely felt like I hardly knew anyone that came through. I felt quite shy and awkward so I will have to work on that for next year. And the big question on my mind that entire day was, why on earth did I wear high heeled boots and contact lenses??? Did I learn nothing from my show last year? And why did I not do the math to realize that unlike an art opening which is usually 1.5-2 hours long, the Open Studio was, in fact, 6 hours long!!?? Standing on concrete floors, I might add! I was so tired when I got home that I fell asleep twice between 6 and 9 p.m. at which point I just went to bed. 

As a side note, I was very proud of my boys for coming to the Open Studio. They didn't want to and resisted when I mentioned it. I was quite surprised and, I will admit, a little hurt. After a bit more talk it came out that they didn't want to go because they were afraid we would be in another car accident which is what happened a year ago after my last opening. My heart dropped when they brought this up. I was shocked that they had made such a strong connection between the two events. We talked a bit more and they asked if we could take a different road if they decided to come and my littlest said, "Mommy if we are in another car crash this time, you won't do anymore art shows, will you?" Bless them both. My husband brought them right at the beginning of the day and I am proud they were so brave.


suzanneberry said...

i love your 20 minute challenge nicki! i wish i could be bolder. it's so inspiring. good luck on your upcoming show and i'm so glad your boys braved the trip. how sad. it's amazing that they connected the accident with the open studio. i'm so glad they made it and that everyone got home safely. i remember that post. anyway that's past and only good things are coming for you and your family. chat soon

Judy Wood said...

Oh, those poor kids. You never know how they will put things together in their minds, so it's a good thing you got this talked out.
I was one of the many to pass through the St George event and your art definitely stood out to me--to the extent that I Googled you when I got home and signed up for this blog. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing more in future.

Nicki said...

Hi Suzanne,

Sometimes the twenty minute challenge forces you to be a bit more bold- it really is a good exercise.

Yes, I'm glad they came to the Open Studio and it all went well. Hopefully that fear is somewhat put to rest. Now it's upward and onward!


Hi Judy,

It really is interesting how the thought processes of children work.

Thank you so much for searching me out! I'm so pleased to hear that my work made an impression. I had a quick peak at your blog and your photography is beautiful. I love the picture of the train bridge! It was neat to see a familiar image.

I appreciate that you took the time to leave me a message.


Judy Adamson said...

Hi Nicki - I love both of your skies but I think the one at the top has more 'raw energy' so it's my favourite!

Hope this years accident-free show will have severed the connection your boys had made and created a new, positive one to replace it?

Barbara M. said...

Hi Nicki,

I love the sky painting(s). Poor little boys. That was such a serious accident. What brave guys; it's good that they don't think art causes accidents.


Anonymous said...

lovely sky painting and good to hear the open studio day went well Nicki:)
sorry to hear about the boys' fears... they can now rest at ease knowing your shows are not jinxed;)

Nicki said...

Hi Judy,

Interesting- the twenty minute paintings are always a bit more raw- it's true.

I think it's good the boys came and now realize the events are not actually connected.


Hi Barbara,

Yes, the accident was traumatic- thankfully time has faded the intense feelings and emotions, but I was surprised when the kids had such a reaction toward my Open Studio.

Glad you like the skies.


Hi Rahina,

Thank goodness my shows aren't jinxed! I would definitely have considered packing it in if we were in another accident that day! It all went well, but I was so tired in the days that followed. It was a lot of work leading up to it and also a long day there. But I'm not complaining!