Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Dusk On A Northern Lake

Dusk On A Northern Lake
14 x 18"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2019
sold
(commission)

This. I am proud of this painting. And I am proud of the little 6x6 daily painting 
(below) which acted as its study. 

 Dusk in a Ravaged Land
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2019
sold

The reason I am proud is that the photo I used, which I took on my painting and canoe adventure in 2013, is in reality rather yawnsville. There is nothing overwhelmingly beautiful about it; basically it was an overcast and very green afternoon. I rarely show my reference photos, but decided that in this instance I would because it really helps illustrate the vision for this piece.

When I paint, my goal is to create a striking image of a Saskatchewan landscape; a painting with atmosphere, emotion, light and, often, drama. I am not a great photographer, far from it, so when I take my photos they are meant to be a jumping off point and a reminder to myself of the wonder I saw in that moment. It is then my job to articulate that feeling, mood and memory in paint or tweak things so that you see what I feel about the place.

The canoe trip in August 2013 got off to a rocky, and somewhat terrifying, start with an extremely intense storm hitting us on our last portage to base camp on the first day. After that, the weather cleared and the next few days were serene, solitary and breathtaking. These are the things I wanted this painting to express, so I consciously made the changes I needed to convey that message.You can read about the painting and canoe trip at these links:


I am proud of this piece because my photo likely does not help you fully understand how I felt about this place, but hopefully the painting does.

My reference photo is below for you to compare. What do you think?

photo © Nicki Ault, 2013

Oh, and I have a third painting (24 x 24") in progress at the studio that is riffing off these two!
,

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

As a landscape painter I really get what you're saying. I don't post my reference shots either, but in most cases it would be exactly the same -- not impressive.

What is magical is that the photo sets off the visual memory in you that turns into this amazing and fantastic painting.

Love that, and love your work.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thank you so much Barbara. I appreciate that so much.

XO