New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

November 15 - December 31, 2017: Holiday Salon - Small Works Show at Darrell Bell Gallery (street level ), running through the holidays, Darrell and his team have installed a grid of twenty of my 8x8's as well as a small wall of larger pieces at the front of the gallery. Lots of great gift ideas to be found by the many gallery artists on display.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Little Dead Spruce

Little Dead Spruce
6 x 6"
oil on board

The northern Boreal forest is sprinkled with dead spruce trees. When many of these coniferous trees die, they turn what I think is a gorgeous orange/red colour. I find the pop of this colour against the green of the forest to be dramatic and exciting, so now not only do I get giddy when I see elk and deer, but I also want to pull over to take pictures when I see these dead, rusted out-looking trees!

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

Good for you giving this little dead tree new life. I have never seen a pretty dead tree, they usually make me very sad. Aren't you the positive one. I love your viewpoint, and love your art! Beautiful.

XOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

What I love about dead trees, especially in the Boreal forest, is that even if a tree is dead, there is always new life growing on or around it. The circle of life. I have seen some of the most glorious moss and fungi growing on expired trees... it is sad and hopeful all at once.

N. XO