Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day Three- Painting On Fire

On Fire Revisited
16 x 16"
acrylic on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2012
sold

I did a painting two summers ago at one of my favorite painting locations, Spruce River, P.A.N.P. and I always loved it... but I let it go... and I know it is loved in it's new home. It was called "On Fire" (below) because on that particular day the way the sun was illuminating the rotting leaf debris under the water's surface honestly made it look like the river was on fire. It was beautiful. Stunning, really. The images in my mind and the photos I took that day still roll around as possibilities for paintings. I have always wanted to try "On Fire" on a larger scale and since we were given a bit of freedom on Day Three I decided to do just that- paint a larger version. 

On Fire
8 x 8"
acrylic on board
© Nicki Ault, 2010
sold 

As the day came to an end I was pleased with what I had painted, however quietly inside myself I kind of felt like I took the easy way out. I really hadn't challenged myself in the sense that I had a certain comfort level with what I painted that day- and I didn't come to the class to be comfortable. My goal was to challenge myself and I hadn't really done that, so at day's end I secretly felt like I had let myself down. Sure enough after looking at my work that evening a friend (kindly) made a comment that he had seen this type of work from me before.

Dang! Busted!

I said he was right and I already knew that, so get off my back already!!! Ha! No I didn't say that, but I did say I was aware and that I was already planning to push myself big-time on Day Four. 
And I think I did... you can judge for yourself when you see my next post... so come back ya'll!

4 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

I love "this type of work" of yours. Gosh people are so pretentious. I mean it. I think we get way too far up our own psyches sometimes and I would defy that person who made the comment to say that to van Gogh or Gaugin or Emily Carr, who painted the same themes many times. It's called a body of work. Nicki -- I love this painting and your self exploration, but people should ease up on you.(Including you!)

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thanks for coming to my defense Barbara! You are so sweet and you are right, although I really wasn't too offended in this case because I think I understood what he was trying to say. You are right, however, that painting the same thing more than once and in different ways can often be part of the learning curve and exploration. Sometimes making one small change to see what will happen is very valuable. I get more exasperated when people tell me I am "tight" and I should loosen up.

Hugs to you!
Nicki XO

Kim Rempel said...

Yes! That painting IS loved in its new home : )))) Every day! A very interesting, honest post! I really wish we could paint sometime together. With Barbara too! A week of it. Wouldn't that be fantastic?

Nicki said...

Kim... ;o)

Glad you liked the honesty of this post. Gotta keep it real! Ha!

I would love to paint with you (both) someday. I have already decided that if and when I win the lottery I will book the Kenderdine Campus for a blog artist week-long retreat! I can hardly wait! :)