Monday, April 16, 2018

A Drive In The Country - Makeover Monday!

A Drive In The Country
(after)
12 x 12"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2018
available

Okay.

I am super shocked I called the original painting from 2015 "done". I vaguely recall my intention while painting the original; I was likely trying to stay "loose" which I have basically been told all of my artistic life. For some reason that has become the standard around these parts. As if "loose" in itself is enough.

Guess what? It's not.

You can paint loose, but have no understanding of chroma, value, hue, composition, patterning, edges, rhythm, light, proportion, design, etc. I don't claim to have the breadth of knowledge that many, many, many artists out there in the vast art world have, but there is one thing that I have figured out in this small part of the world... loose does not a good painting make.

A Drive In The Country
(before)
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2015

So if you are like me, someone who loves a little detail, who loves painting somewhat realistically and who loves to refine their work to an extent, and you are being told ALL THE TIME to stay "loose", well, take it with a grain of salt. Being loose has its place, but it is not the whole place. Rather, I submit to you that your goal be to keep learning, keep reading, keep experimenting and if you take workshops, learn from a variety of people. Do not turn your nose up at instructors who are classically trained. While their way may not be how you necessarily want to paint, they know their stuff and there is a wealth of historical knowledge they can offer you. Also, look at a lot of art. Figure out what is happening in the artwork you love. Really examine it. And do the same with artwork you don't like. What is happening that repels you? Make notes even!

Keep on keeping on and as you evolve (which is hopefully an ongoing journey), the knowledge you've been absorbing will begin appearing in your work in really good ways.

Most of all, paint like yourself, not like someone else, because if you don't, who will?

No comments: